Tuesday, June 17, 2008

THE

It is always entertaining to hear someone butcher the english language by simply adding the article "the" in front of words we are not used to.

"I checked it on the Google" - President George W. Bush
"I like to watch the sports" - Letter D of They Might Be Giants

Growing up in Southern California, we always referred to the freeways with the article "the" in front of its number.

"Take the 101 to the 405 South"
"Get on the 5 headed south..."

Even in Chicago, with the familiar names of the expressways, the "the" was always present.

"Take the Kennedy towards O'Hare..."
"Get on the Eisenhower..."

I had an interesting observation this past weekend as my parents were visiting from Los Angeles. We were driving to the Northwestern corner of the Beltway to visit my aunt and uncle.  As I was driving us there, dad inquired about my route.

"So you stay on the 495?"
"Um...what?"
"Do you stay on the 495 all the way there?"
"THE 495?"

I realized at that moment, almost 4 years after moving here, that as far as I have observed, the "the" is no where to be found when referring to the roads.

We take 495, 295, 395, 270, Fairfax County Parkway, and South Capital St.
We also take the GW Parkway, and the Beltway.

How did that rule fall into place?

Maybe after I learn about that, I can learn about the schmuck who decided around here to take my spot in the next lane as I try to make a safe f'ing lane change!

=======================================
THE music listened to while I wrote THE blog was THE:

-Last One - Days of the New - Days of the New
-Symphony #10 - II. Allegro - Philadelphia Orchestra, Maris Jansons, Cond. - Shostakovich: The Complete Symphonies
-Habit - Pearl Jam - No Code
-La Noche de los Mayas (1939) | 2 Noche de Jaranas: Scherzo - L.A. Philharmonic, Essa-Pekka Salonen, cond. - Sensamaya
-Reach Out (Never Say No) - GTR - GTR

No comments: